My company is about to dive into the world of automated testing. The first guinea-pig for automation is a project I happen to be managing. Unfortunately, the team and I have very little experience with automated testing, so I recently asked Atanas Stoyanov for some advice. Here are the notes I took:
- Start with Simple Smoke Tests
- Keep them simple!!
- Tests should take less than 20 minutes; if smoke tests are too big then people will resent using them after each build.
- Do not start with big goals (testing frameworks, etc)
- Start with “main” areas of the app… clicking menus, opening forms. Nothing too big. It should be able to give results daily.
- Once smoke-tests are stabilized, proceed to regressions tests (validating data in forms).
- When doing regression tests, run the nightly or every few days.
I hope all goes well. Wish me luck!
Subscribe to RemObjects Software Blog
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox